Your implants restore functionality and make your smile more beautiful. For the most part, you care for your dental implants in Arlington Heights, IL, as you do your original teeth. However, dentists recommend a few areas of special care.
Brush, Water-Flossing, & Checkups
Whether made by nature or in a dental lab, your teeth require daily oral hygiene, as well as regular checkups and cleaning. Here are recommendations to keep all of your teeth looking and functioning as nature intended:
- Brush and floss all of your teeth—natural and implants—daily with a minimum of twice for brushing and once for flossing.
- Choose a non-abrasive toothpaste.
- You can use a manual, electric, or sonic toothbrush for natural and implanted teeth. However, when using a manual toothbrush for implants, prevent damage by selecting one that is soft.
- Along with a conventional brush, an Interdental toothbrush is recommended for dental implants in Arlington Heights, IL. Nylon-coated interdental brushes are great for cleaning those hard-to-reach areas without scratching.
- When flossing, use a product that is made for implants or one that isn’t coated in wax.
- Along with string floss, a water flosser is helpful in reducing plaque and inflammation.
- Don’t wait for six months for a dental checkup. Make an appointment every three or four months to maintain optimal oral health.
If you are experiencing issues with your dental implants following surgery, do not hesitate to contact us.